The monastery is obliged to Lavra’s relics by its development, glory, high spirituality, God’s grace that everyone coming here with faith can feel. Believers hurry to venerate them. Already in the Holy Gates the Mother of God meets them on the wall-painted icon in the pillar of fire, as She favored to come for the first time on the Pochayiv hill and leave the footprint of Her right foot forever.
This relic is located in the Dormition church behind a small brass fence near the first column. Surrounded by the proximity of an unfathomable mystery, it seems to absorb the fervent prayers of a never-ending stream of pilgrims coming here for many centuries. Just similar to the ancient altar, there is a shrine with a silk pall above the Footprint. The image of the Footprint of God Mother is painted on the pall. On the wall behind it there is a bronze bas-relief image of the appearance of the Theotokos decorated with gold and silver. The Footprint itself is on the stone below the shrine. It streams the healing water, which pilgrims drink and take with them.
In the Dormition Cathedral above the Holy Doors there is a second Lavra’s relic – a miracle-working Icon of the Mother of God framed in a star-like ark shining with colored stones. It was presented to the local noblewoman Anna Goiska by the Greek Metropolital Neophit in 1559.
Pochaevskaya miraculous icon of the Mother of God
The image is painted in the Byzantine style on a small lime-tree board. It depicts the Mother of God tenderly inclining Her head toward Her Son, Whom She holds on Her right hand. In Her left hand, She holds a napkin, with which She covers the feet of the Divine Infant. Jesus is depicted imparting a blessing to those for whom He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life." God Mother and the Savior both have decorated crowns on Their heads. On both sides and on the lower part of the icon there are miniature images of seven saints. On the right, the Prophet Elias and the Martyr Menas are depicted, while the Protomartyr Stephen and the Venerable Avraamius are featured on the left. Across the bottom of the icon one finds images of the Great Martyr Catherine and the martyrs Parasceve on her right and Irene on her left.
When in 1597 the miraculous Icon cured her born blind brother Philip, Anna Goiska gave the relic to the Pochayiv monastery. The flow of miracles from the icon has happened for more than 400 years up till present day.