THE INCORRUPTIBLE RELICS OF STS JOB AND AMPHILOCHIUS
For the blessing of the Venerable St. Job, the abbot and the wonderworker of Pochayiv, believers go down to the Caves Church. His incorruptible relics rest in a silver shrine in a stone rock shelter of the temple. The Venerable Job was born in Pokuttya (Ivano-Frankivsk region today) in 1551. At the age of ten, caring for God and looking for a private devotion, Ivan left his parents and was accepted to the Ugornits Monastery. He took vows two years later and amazed everyone with his mildness, eagerness, diligence to prayer; became a true model of a monastic life. By request of Prince Constantine of Ostrozh, Hieromonk Job was transferred to the Dubno monastery to give examples of monastic feats to brothers. For more than twenty years, he served as the abbot of this monastery, actively defended Orthodoxy against its enemies.
Avoiding the glory of this world, in 1604 he secretly left for the Pochayiv hill. Soon he became famous there for his strict monastic life, and eventually was elected by the brethren as abbot. All his life he spent doing manual labor, performing feats and prayers. He endured many sorrows and offences from Poles, who intended to take away the monastery and convert it to Catholicism; from Andrew Firley, a grandson of Anna Goiska, who neglected her “Fundusheva Gramota (“Writ of Endowment”) and took back everything that was kindly presented to the monastery by the land-owning lady, including the wonder-working Icon. The stronger and more persistent the attacks against Christians were the more relentlessly St. Job guarded the entrusted to him monastery. With his sermons and precepts, with his spiritual purity and pious life, the abbot had been disclosing the essence of the terrestrial human existence.
The relics of St. Job Pochaev
As it was predicted by him seven days prior, he departed to a blessed eternity and after almost eight years his relics were uncovered incorrupt.
The relics of the Venerable Amphilochius of Pochayiv rest in the Caves Church in the same stone rock shelter as St. Job’s relics. St. Amphilochius was born in 1894 in Volyn area, in the village of Mala Ilovytsya into a pious family with many children. He spent his childhood and boyhood in his native village together with the family, later he served in the Tsar’s army. Having gone through military trials, he chose a narrow way of salvation – a monastic life and came to the Pochayiv Lavra in 1925. As a young monk he bore his obedience with love of labor and humbleness and was considered worthy of ordination with the name of Yosyp and the priesthood. Had dedicated all his life to God and neighbors, Saint Amphilochius gained a strong faith and love. God gifted him with the grace of prophesy and the performing of miracles. He healed, exorcised, made deaf to hear, blind to see and consoled the mournful.
He did not leave the Holy Lavra during persecutions, instead, together with brothers, he outstayed, praying to God days and nights. With his braveness and courage, he protected the Holy Trinity Cathedral. Therefore he was arrested and taken to a psychiatric hospital in Budanov, but by the providence of God he was released by good people that knew him. The authority forbad him to return back to the Lavra, so he settled in his native Ilovytsya, where, for many years, he served people with love avoiding human glory in every possible way. St. Amphilochius ended his earthly way on 1 January 1971 and was canonized on 12 May 2002.
Relics of St Amfilohija Pochaev